Importance of Vaastushanti Ritual in 21st Century
Vastu Shanti is an effective vedic process, to be performed in the Vaastu (the place where you reside/ your office). It is said that the Vaastushanti process affects positively on each and every molecular thing associated with the Vaastu because of the recitations being performed during the process. Every molecule (source of energy) has impact on other source of energy in the atmosphere.
Your positive or negative thoughts have the potential to impact every source of energy in the Vaastu. Vibrations generated due to these thoughts affects your Vaastu and surroundings.
Elderly people always taught us not to abuse or quarrel inside the Vaastu as Vaastu purush always says “Tathastu” (So be it). These thoughts are more prominently visible in the 21st century.
Even thoughts not expressed to anyone have vibrational impacts inside the Vaastu.
It is said that even scientist have claimed such vibrations.
The vibrations impact what you say, what you do, the atmosphere you stay in and also on the walls and things inside the Vaastu.
Vaastushanti not only purifies the Vaastu but also the sole of the persons present in the Vaastu during the event.
One of the most scientific method of Vaastushati has been elaborated in the Hundu Dharma.
Vasstushanti should be performed after specific time but the Vaastu pramita (image of Vaastu) should be incarnated only once.
It is experienced that hatred waves are eliminated by doing Vaastushati.
While building any vastu / home, one has to perform many activities like digging, breaking stones, cutting trees etc. with help of machines. While performing such inevitable activities one may heart many insects, animals, birds, and other living things. It also hearts the body of “vastu-purush”.the side effect of all such activities are felt by the owner of home.
In an order to avoid this, and to get blessings from all gods/ goddesses one should pray and ask them to forgive. The method of doing so is called as “ Vastushanti”.
The main objective behind performing vastushanti:
1. To get rid of internal defects of built homes , lands, and internal systems.
2. If one has hearted any living thing (knowingly / Un-Knowingly) while building the home /vastu, one should pray to them to forgive.
3. To pray to “vatupurush” in order to protect home as well as family members from natural disaster.
4. To achieve good heath, prosperity and long life.
Before moving into a new home, one should perform vastushanti pooja, homa, udakshanti, yag etc.
If you are planning to move in used / pre-owned home / vastu, one should perform Vastushanti Pooja.
The vastushanti pooja helps to get rid of negative energy from home. And it brings happiness and wealth and prosperity in the person’s life, living in that home /Vastu.
“Vastushanti pooja” as well as “Gruhapravesh” should be performed in the background of music, worship of “Kuladevata”, welcoming of all guests & honoring Guruji(bramhins).
In the historical book of vastu-shastra, one can find the reference of Buildings from one story to twelve story. It gives the information about the length, width, height & breadth of ideal Building as well as the exact placement of furniture within the house.
“Rugved” mentions advance techniques of house constructions, which even has reference of a township of up to 100 homes. “Skanda-puran”, “Agni-Puran””, Vayu-Puran” etc also have mention of fundamental principles of “Vastushastra”.
Matsya-puran has the reference of 18 structural engineers. Matsya-puran has clear guidelines about how and where the columns should be placed in 1 building.
Similar reference can be found in Greek & roman literature.
Skand-Puran has mention the concept of Town-Planning of a big city.
Garud puran gives the information about an ideal habitable house as well as an ideal religious building.
“Agni-Puran” discusses about how an ideal place to live in should be.
“Narad-Puran” gives detailed description of how a well, Temple & water reservoir should be built.
“Vayu-Puran” gives the guidelines of how to build a temple on a hill.
Vastushastra finds mention in a book named “Bramhan-Granth” written almost 4000 years ago.
The knowledge of Vastushastra existed even during “Ramayan” & “Mahabharat”.
According to Mahabharat , Lord Shrikrishna gave the responsibility of building the city of “Dwarka” to vishvakarma. This city was developed along the lines of Vastu-Shastra.
It was built on water with the purpose that it will submerge under the water after a certain period of time. The remains of the “City of Dwarka” have been found in the ocean, some time ago.
In a similar manner one can find reference of the creation of “Indra-Prasth”, the pool built between “India & Shrilanka” & Vajralep (cement).
While performing ground-breaking ceremony, while fixing the frame of main entrance door and while entering the new home /Vastu, it is recommended to perform vastushanti pooja.
We can find some old mythological references about “origin of Vastupurush”. Some of them are mentioned as below:
In ancient days ,Lord Shankar was fighting with the monster “andhakasur”. He was trying to kill the demon, while doing so, few of his sweat drops fell on earth, and from that one terrifying animal got generated. That animal started drinking each drop of blood falling on earth. When there was no single drop of blood remaining on earth, the animal started worshipping and praying to Lord Shiva. Lord Shiva got pleased with the prayers of the animal, animal asked the blessing of Lord Shiva in an order to finish people living in all 3 words. At that time, out of fear, all gods got frightened and they jumped on that animal.
They further stayed on the same part of body of the animal, where they fell after jumping. The animal got scared due to fear of death and started praying to Lord Shiva. He prayed that if all Gods stayed as it is on his body, he will die soon. Please suggest me some solution to fulfil my hunger.
That time Lord Shankar told him to swallow all material used for Vastushanti. And also mentioned that people who do not perform Vastushanti will also become your food. This animal is named as “Vastupurush” or “ vastudevata”. This was the time, since when people started doing vastushanti pooja.
Information courtesy : Antarjal.
“Panchagavya” is made up of 5 elements generated from cow.(cow urine, cow dung, milk , curd, ghee). To purify our body, mind & soul, it is recommended to eat “panchagavya”. “Pavitrak Dharan”
“pavitrak” is made up of Darbh(one type of Grass) and should be worn till the pooja is completed. “ “Kuldevata(family god/ godess) Smaran & Vandan”
“In an order to obtain blessings from Kuldevata (Family God/ Godess), Vastudevata, guru , combination of coconut & beatal leaf is offered to them. If its not possible to go to actual temple of god, the same activity can be done in front of god/ godess in the worship place of home. “Pradhan Sankalp (primary Goal)”
In order to get rid of all sins committed (knowingly / Un-knowingly) while building the home /vastu, & to get blessings from vastu, we perform vastushanti. In order to obtain blessings from all planets, we perform grahashanti. This type of “Pradhan sankalp” is made by the person performing “vastushanti” pooja. “Ganesh Poojan
The worship of vastushanti starts with worshiping lord ganesha. “Punyah- wachan
Punyahvachan is the process, in which the bramhan(guruji) gives the blessings that “Let today’s day be the auspicious day.” “Matruka Poojan”
Matrukapoojan is done in order to avoid violence. In which worshiping family Godess is included. “Nandishradh”
The elders who have left for heavenly abod, are worshiped. “Aacharya(main Guruji) & Rutvij (assistant Guruji) Varan
In an order to perform the further process of vastushanti, the main guruji & assistant guruji are appointed in “acharya & rutvij varan. “Sthalashudhi
The purification of our place / vastu. “Main god and vastumandal aavahan & poojan
There are total 62 gods, to whom one has to invite & worship. “Agni (fire) Sthapana
Fire is lit by married woman. “Placement of Grahamandal, worship process & havan
Navagraha mandal consists of 42 gods. After the worship, it is mentioned which god will be offered with what worship material with number of repetitions mentioned. It is called as “anvadhan”. Process of “havan starts after that. Samidha, rice, ghee are offered in the havan to satisfy Planetary gods. “Worshiping chief god vastu & havan
Samidha, rice cooked in milk & sugar, ghee & sesame seeds are used for havan process, in which number of havans performed are 108/ 28. Again vastudevata is offered with “beal-fruit”. “Prayashchitta havan
“kshetrapal devata” is appointed to protect the place /home /vastu. The kshetrapal devata is worshipped with rice, udid dal along with kapur or wheat floor lamp & is sacrificed in order to get rid of fear & pain. “Purnahuti
In order to do fulfillment of karma, purnahuti is done. “Uttarpooja
Invited gods are offered with flowers, gandh, dhoop, lamp & naivedya. And they are worshipped properly. “Abhishek
The water from the pot on which the gods are placed is sprinkled and host and all the members present at the venue. “Dharapoojan
Earth is considered as wife of lord Vishnu & is worshipped. Since start of day to end of day, we wonder on earth.so we need to worship her. “Completion of Vastushanti
Entering new Vastu / Place / Home.
At such occasions, people need mental & moral support, positive response in the form of energy.
Fortunately our Hindu religion has guidelines noted in various “Dharmik Granth “(religious guidebooks) associated with all such problems in the form of different types of Rituals, Remedies etc.
Even before taking any decision on performing any religious activity to get rid of any problem, one has to take into account some rules to be followed in our daily routine life, for the sake of betterment of life.
Every individual spend his /her precious time of life with their loved ones / colleagues/ associates in their home / work place /Business Place which is referred as “Vastu”.
The holiness of the “Vastu” is directly associated with happiness and well-being of human being.to make sure of this, there are few suggestions , which I would like to share with everyone.
1. There is a saying in Marathi “हात फिरेल तिथे लक्ष्मी वसेल !” which means that if your “vastu “ is clean & tidy , Godess Lakshmi ( which is symbol of wealth, prosperity )will always love to stay in that vastu. So taking care of cleanliness & hygiene of “Vastu” is the prime responsibility of individual.
2. Never keep any unwanted (scrap) goods in the home. Try to dispose of such things as soon as possible.
3. Broken Glass /Mirrors, broken / damaged utensils made up of glass, clay or any metal , clocks in non-working condition, rusted material, non-usable objects/things should be disposed of in timely manner. Because, it is believed that “Kali” has is presence in such things.
4. Many a times, house is occupied with old/ broken toys of kids, old cloths, documents, footwares etc. These things are of no use to anyone in the house, but because of our undue affection towards them, we keep them as it is in home, which increases the dirt and untidiness of place.
5. Now a day’s everyone is fascinated with “Mall Culture”.whenever people visit malls, they tend to purchase many new things. One has to think about the difference between “want” & “Need” before purchasing any new thing. It is believed that if you spend unnecessarily , you may suffer from wrath of Goddess “Lakshmi”.
6. Do not keep any things / objects of Dead/ passed away people in the house. For example their cloths, books, jewelry etc. donate such things to needy people.
7. The kitchen especially kitchen top is symbol of Goddess Lakshmi, residing in that home. Many a times kitchen top is filled with too many unnecessary things, used and unclean utensils, the ugly spots on floor / house due to spill of food , uncovered food items, spilled of milk etc. One has to take care of (avoid) all these things to keep the kitchen top Clean & tidy.
8. Shop & store only necessary grocery items in the home. avoid the misuse of excess food items.
9. Sprinkle small amount of milk on hot pan before making Roti / Chapati, it reduces illness in home.
10. The worship place of the home should not have old / partially damaged Murti( image in which the Divine Spirit is expressed (‘murta’)) as well as photo of goddesses .such images / idols should be immerged in river at a suitable auspicious time.
11. Do not keep any last right material in your home.
12. Do not keep photos of expired person on walls, worship place adjacent to images/ photos of Gods.
13. Dispose of used flowers from worship place, also dispose of old bouquet of flowers as well as old flower garlands hanging on main entrance of the home.
14. Continuously keep the lamp lit in the house. The lamp should be fed with ghee or sesame oil.this helps in reducing the negative energy in the house.
15. Keep the main entrance door of house clean by wiping it with clean cloth every day. keep it open for some time & lit up the dhoop stick at door.
16. It is recommended to have undamaged “Umbartha”(Door Jamb ) at main entrance of house
. Clean it every morning. Worship it haldi- kumkum.draw swastik on it. in order to satisfy the five earthly elements , it is recommended to lit up 5 camphor pieces on door Jamb every full moon & no moon day.
17. Do not keep the coconut (which does not have water-dried) in the house. Many a times people keep such coconuts used in poojas, home hawan for years in the home. It is believed that such coconuts bring financial and health related problems in the life of people living in that vastu.
18. There should not have any tree in existence in front of main entrance of house. It creates “Dwarvaidya” dosha. Even there should not have any shadow of tree on main entrance of house.
19. Do not disappoint any visitor/ needy person to your home. Help him/ her as far as you can.
20. As a general Practice inside house as well as in our life,we should avoid ..Abusing people, hating others, thinking bad for others, hurting peoples sentiments, criticizing others, comparing with others ,accusing others, telling & Spreading lies etc. it purifies one’s soul & helps in purifying the vastu.
21. It is individuals duty that there should not be any wrong, unacceptable incidence by society , violence, injustice happen in the premises of your home /vastu.
22. It is recommended that every family should do “Udakshanti” at home / vastu once in a year.
They should follow religious methods and do formalities associated with religion as per guided by their ancestors. If there are any difficulties in continuing with some religious activities (vrat-vaikalya), it is recommended to take guidance from Guruji and close the process (Udyapan) in systematic way as guided by guruji.
23. Everyday lit up the essence stick at main entrance of home – preferably in morning as well as in the evening.
24. It is recommended to do “ Laghurudra” , “Maharudra” poojas in vastu.
25. To achieve desired objective, one should do homa, poojas, yagas as per the guidance received from guruji.
26. Care should be taken of all plants and trees present in the premises of house including holly basil, which should be regularly watered and taken care off.
27. It is believed that if one has “bael tree” in the premises of vastu / house, goddess lakshmi likes to stay in such house. Another thing is if one is trying to get married soon, he /she should plan 11 “bael Trees” in the premises of house.
28. Woman in the house represents goddess “laksmi” .every individual should respect girs /women in the house. They should take care of them and their needs properly. One should take care of old age people, sick people present in the home. And share love and affection towards them.
29. Kids in every family are observant of behavior of their elder ones. So every family member should try to behave in an appropriate manner in front of kids in the family.
30. One should teach “Ganpati atharvashirsh”, “Maruti-Stotra”, “Ramraksh”,”Shrisukta”,”Shubankaroti” etc. to their kids. And make them chant the same every evening in the home.
31. If you have taken any loan from anyone, make sure you return it in time and with correct interest amount as promised earlier to person who has given the loan.
32. It is recommended that one should read “saptashati path “ either everyday or on full-moon day or one should hire guruji to do so in the home, to get rid of hurdles in the home.
33. One should not
34. The home /vastu should have clean washrooms.
35. One should clean the floor of home /vastu with the help of water and rock-salt every week. Sprinkle “go-mutra”( cow- urine) everywhere in the home.
36. One should offer rice flakes in the quantity of (1.25 kg) to fish in flowing water on full-moon day(pournima). It helps to reduce “pitrudosh”.
37. One should not keep multicolored, different shaped idols of lord Ganesh. It is insulting thing.one should immerse such show-pieces in flowing water. And one should not gift such objects to anyone.
38. Keep 5 portions of “dahi-bhat” (curd-rice) in gallery / terrace /in the premises of vastu everyday before 12 p.m.
39. Every individual in home / vastu should take personal care in terms of personal hygiene, behavior, co-cooperativeness, helpfulness etc.
40. “shrivyankatesh stotra”: one should chant this for 42 days ( 1 Mandal) in continuation to fulfill his /her desire.
41. One should invite married women and kumarika (girls below the age of 9) to home, offer them food, clothes and other useful things as per one’s ability and choice.one woman in the house can perform “Mahalakshmi vrat”, “Vaibhavlakshmi vrat” in this context.
42. The idols / photo frames of gods / goddess should be placed east-west or west-east direction. Do not place them in north-south or south-north direction.
43. Do not keep any remains or memorabilia of dead person in neither worship place nor in the home /vastu.
44. For the purpose of internal peace of departed generations and to attain their blessings for all future generations, it is necessary to perform shradh (warsh-shradh / sarvapitri amawasya shradh) and any other as guided by Guruji.
45. For purification of home /vastu, it is recommended to do reparative chanting of holly-books like “Gurucharitra”,”Shivlilamrtu”,”Navnath-Bhaktisar”, “Shrivyankatesh-Stotra” etc.