Navchandi Yaag (Navchandi Puja)
How to perform Navchandi Yaag (Navchandi Puja)
Navchandi word refers to nine avataras of goddess “Durga” .
The Nine avataras mentioned in “Chandi Puran” are:
It is said that, during the auspicious period of Navratri, if any person reads/listens Saptashati paath & does Navachandi yaag, all his/her wishes comes true by the grace of goddess “Durga”.
Saptashati path: sapta means seven. Shata means hundred. Hundred female version of goddesses means “saptashati”.
There are 700 chanting(shlokas/mantras) in saptashati, in which importance of Godess durga & her three types of elements(trigunatmak) powers (shaktis) has been elaborated.
Sage (rishi) Vyas is said to be the creator of 18 puranas, out of which, in the “Markandeya” puran there are sections (adhyayas) from 81 to 93 , in which 700 shlokas (mantras)of saptashati have been elaborated.
Apart from these 700 shlokas (mantras), there are 3 other important shlokas (mantras), named “Kavach”, “argala” & “kilak” & there are 3 types of secrets (rahasya) mentioned in saptashati.
When all the above shlokas (mantras) have been performed, it is said that the reading of “saptashati path” has been completed successfully.
If a person reads the above mentioned saptashati paath for 10 times, including reading of the paath for 2 additional times as replacement of hawana, that means total 12 paathas of saptashati, it is said that person has performed “pathatmak saptashati”(in the form of “paath: reading” & not in the form of “Havana”, as many a times there is not sufficient place available to perform “Havana”).
While performing “navchandi yaag” there are many shlokas (mantras) performed by guruji, out of which few important one are mentioned as below:
- To avoid unnatural Death: (“Trambakam yajamahe ……)mantra should be chanted on continuous basis for 100 times by guruji.
- To get rid of all types of crisis: (“Durgesmruta……)mantra should be chanted by guruji.
- To get rid of all types of deceases : (“roganasheshan….) mantra should be chanted by guruji.
- To get blessings from goddess “Durga”: (”sharanagat dinart….) mantra should be chanted by guruji.
- For getting good life partner(husband/wife) : (”patnim manoramam dehi) mantra should be chanted by guruji
- To acquire better education : (“etyukta sa tada devi…) mantra should be chanted by guruji.
- For betterment of the life/ for all good things to happen in life : (“sarvamangal mangalye…) mantra should be chanted by guruji.
Shatachandi: when someone performs 100 “pathas:readings” of saptashati, including Havana of 10 “paathas:readings” of saptashati, it is call as “ shatachandi” yag.
Ek sahastrachandi : when someone performs 1000 “paathas:readings” of saptashati, including Havana of 100 “pathas:readings” of saptashati, it is call as “ sahastrachandi” yag.
Ek ayutchandi : when someone performs 10000 “pathas:readings” of saptashati, including Havana of 1000“pathas:readings” of saptashati, it is call as “ ayutchandi” yag.
After reading “vishesh(special) patha, there is mandatory to ready “kunjikastotra”, because it is mentioned in chandi puran that, if after successful reading of “saptashati patha”, if you are not reading “kunjikastotra”, it is like going in forest & shouting meaningless .So it is important to read the “kunjikastotra” after successful completion of reading of “saptashati path”.
While performing navchandi yaag:
- Step 1: “panchagavya prashan” vidhi(process) for cleaning of the body of devotee.
- Step 2: “Sankalp”: talking about the purpose/objective behind performing this yaag
- Step3 : “Ganesh Pujan”: lord ganesha has been worshiped 1st amongst all other gods, and devotee prays to lord ganesh that please help me /bless me to perform this yaag without any hurdles.
- Punyaha vachan : the guruji performing this yaag gives blessings to person/devotee performing this yaag, that Let today’s day be the auspicious day to perform this yaag(pooja).
- Matruka poojan: there are many sins human performs unknowingly in everyday life, to get rid of the bad impact generated by those sins, “Matruka poojan” has been performed.
- Nandishradha: To obtain blessings from our departed ancestors (purvaj) for the yaag , the shradha vidhi(process) has been performed.
- To perform rest of the vidhis(processes) during yaag, the main guruji appoints work to rest of the gurujis (disributes works amongst the Team) : it is called as “aacharyawaran”
- Afterwhich “vastushudhi” has been performed.
Post reading the “saptashati paath”, it is recommended to do kshama-prarthana(Prayer to goddess Dura, saying that I have performed this yaag to the best of my knowledge/ power/intelligence, if I have performed something wrong(unknowingly) during this yaag, please forgive me & bless me with happiness & prosperity in life.)
During Navchandi: goddess durga has been worshiped in 16 different ways (shodashopchar).
The “Abhishek” to goddess durga has been performed by chanting “devistutimantra”(pleasing the goddess”).
Kumkumarchan: The couple performing chandi yaag, recites 108 names of goddess durga by offering kumkum for 108 times.
Post kumkumarchan , the fire is lightened to perform “havan”.
Thereafter, Navgraha poojan, havan,balidan & purnahuti are the processes performed in the sequence.
“Kumarika Poojan” is the auspicious ritual performed post purnahuti.
During kumarika poojan, the girl/girls(age below 10) & married women have been worshiped by the devotee-person performing the yaag.
People believe that these girls are symbol of “kuldevata”( Family Goddess).
There are different names to these “kumarika”(girls) defined as per their age as:
2 year old girl : Kaumari
3 year old girl : Trimurti
4 year old girl :Kalyani
5 year old girl :Rohini
6 year old girl:Kalika
7 year old girl:Chandika
8 year old girl :Shambhavi
9 year old girl :Durga
10 year old girl :Subhadra
As per the age, the girls are worshiped by devotee-person performing the yag.
Post this, the main guruji does “Agnipoojan(worshiping fire set for homa/havan)” & “vibhuti dharan” & the guruji also get this done from devotee-person performing the yag.
Post this, the yajman(main person performing the yag) offers cow(Godan) to main guruji of this yag. If it’s not feasible to yajman , he/she can offer money instead of cow to main guruji as well as rest of the gurujis in the team which is called as offering “dakshina”
Post this, the team of guruji gives blessings to Person performing the yag & his/her entire family as well as people present at that place.
Post this, aarti of goddess “Durga” & “Mantrapushpanjali”(offering flowers to the feet to goddess while chanting) has been performed by people present at that place.
After that, the Yajman (main person performing the yag) should do “Bramhan-Bhojan”-offering food to guruji, “Kumarika-Bhojan”-offering food to girls(kumarikas), “suvasini –Bhojas”-offering food to married women, as per his/her capacity & desire.