Marriage Ceremony (Vivah Vidhi)
Generally Marriage is said to be union of man and Woman but from Hindu traditional perspective the term “Vivah” (marriage) has deeper meaning. It is the ritual where a mutual bonding of man, woman happens in the presence of auspicious fire, Gods, Brahmans and elderly persons. Due to this, the bonding gets accepted by the society which also blesses the couple. Nowadays people prefer court marriage due to the time and costs associated with Marriage ceremony. However it is recommended to perform Vivah with all rituals associated in a scientific manner with least available resources with an optimized expense. The Vivah ritual is associated with “dharma”, “arth”, “kaam” and “moksha”.
It is about making the married couple aware of the life changing events that are about to happen in the future associated with marriage. These help to bridge the difference of opinions in several issues that the couple may have to face in their life time. It is a start of positive relationship between the couple and their families and should not be seen as a compromise or contract for future.
Religious activities associate with Marriage.
- The man is relieved of his educational society (gurukul) before marriage.
- If would be bride’s kundali has a possibility for adverse effect on Groom’s life, Kumbh Vivah is performed to mitigate this malefic effect in the Kudali.
- If any Vrat is done for getting married, before marriage it is recommended to finish it as per the guidelines mentioned in Shastras.
Rituals before marriage
- Mango or similar tree is worshipped and its branch is cut and is inserted to the right side of the entrance gate.
- Yellow cloth is painted in turmeric powder and one solid turmeric, one coin, one supari, coloured rice grained is engulfed in the cloth and tied to the branch. This is muruta mhed which is worshipped.
- After that, the tools in the kitchen are worshipped. (For ex: Mixer)
- Grind handful of grain.
- Apply turmeric powder on body.
- Parents will give bath to groom/bride called Chowk Snan.
Dev/Brahman graham Yagna
- Worship God Idols at home and also worship all planets to make them favourable for marriage (grahamukh/graham yagna).
- Arrangement and Establishment of Mandap God, Lord Ganesha and Family God .
Gauri Har Poojan
- Worship gaurihar idol which is established on handful of rice grain.
- Guruji performing marriage ceremony give blessings in the form of mangalashtaka (mantras).
- Bride puts garland around Groom’s neck and Groom follows thereafter.
- Guruji recites the blessing mantras.
- Marriage ceremony begins with offering madhu park (liquid prepared by mixing curd, ghee, honey ) to would be groom.
- Father of bride, performs ritual to hand over his daughter to groom.
Mangal sutra bandhan
Saptapadi: Seven steps are taken together to create bonding in the pius presence of sugar, god, Brahman and fire. After saptapadi, bride and groom engulf into the relationship of husband and wife.
Marriage is legally accepted post saptapadi. Groom is suppose to show dhurva star, constellation of arundhuti and saptarshi in the sky to the bride.
- Mother of Groom sees face of Bride and Groom in the mirror.
Vadhu Gruha Pravesh:
Renaming of Bride: In Indian culture, the gotra of bride gets changes post marriage and if groom wishes, her name is also changed. Other rituals like Satyanarayan puja, Gondhal, kul Devta darshaan are suggested as per tradition.